Living in this small town for several weeks felt like a homecoming of my grandparents, except the fact that my grandparents were not living there and their backyard was bigger than a housing lot that side by side tightly and neatly. Everything felt so calm, slow, and retro. The only my way to spend my free time was hiking through the hill behind my place, along with a monk trails around the hills. But, I always satisfied by hiking one hill and went down after the electricals’ giant structure.



This city was left behind by the young who chose working behind the desk. What remains are my neighbors, apo and akung, whose names I didn’t even remember. After the mines had been closed, so many houses closed. Sometimes, I imagined this city was like a small colony on Mars, which the members could be counted, a faraway inhabitation. Tourists were flooding, like a steel sand to the magnet, allured by the history of this place, just like aliens looked for entertainment. That was all when weekend and holidays came.


In the weekdays especially on the rainy days, this city often told me that they are lonely.



This photo-essay was submitted to XEROXED 5x2 Mini Fest. Print Show #4, Jogja under my pseudonym Saniscawara

No comments:

Post a Comment